Saturday, 3 September 2011
grungy monday is taking a bit of a break in September but fortunately Linda gave us more time to make challenge 21. (Sorry if this is a long post ..... you dont have to read it, but I need to write it!)
Anyway this was lucky for me as I didnt have any fragments. Take a look at studio L3 to see what it's all about. GRUNGY MONDAY
I had to make a special trip to hobbycraft to get the fragments, It's all about Tims Transparent Illusions which was silly as they were £2 cheaper online! BUT if I hadn't gone there I wouldn't have brought the wooden word that was the inspiration for my piece. (a bargain at 49p)
I wanted to make a special mixed media canvas for my newly decorated craft room.
I liked the mini canvas that Vicky at work made for another colleague's birthday Something Arty Farty I wanted to make something similar.
The piece I have made is full of all the techniques I love to do, plus the new ones using the fragments.
The first thing I did was paint the word with metallic white acrylic paint and Ranger crackle paint. then I sprayed it with cosmic shimmer .... a lot, so the colour seeped into the cracks.
Not sure if it shows up but it is quite shimmery. Then I used a Tim 'mask' and colourwashed the swirl.
The little butterfly is a piece of broken jewellery glued on with glossy accents.
Next I made the fragments; top left is the faux etching, I manage to glue this on using glossy accents in the embossed areas. The 'ghostly' face is Piccasso, The hummingbird is stamped with a fragment glued on top. The text is made with the sticky tape transapencies method.
The words live, love, laugh are stamped on to the top of the fragments with stazon and backed with patterned paper.
The silver fragments top left are pieces of PMC that were left over from other projects.
The button at the top is embossed with UTEE, it is quite textural see the the crafty robin's photo frame.
The leaves are embossed with various colours onto card.
Everything is 'glued' on using an art modelling paste with acrylic paint added for colour, This was lovely to use, I just splodged it on in a random way, like you do ! great fun but messy!
Finally I inked the edges with distress inks .... well we cant leave those out now can we LOL.
This is the finished piece, I am quite pleased with it, not too bad as a first attempt.
I am also entering this piece in the craft room challenge (but cannot seem to get the side bar working (doh!) but do take a look there are some lovely 'home decor' pieces.
CRAFTROOM CHALLENGE thanks to zoe at the craftroom I have sorted the link thanks Zoe, see the shop here www.craft-room.co.uk/